What is Phishing?
Table of Contents
Phishing is a common form of online identity theft, and it occurs when a criminal is able to capture your email password and access your inbox. The term is a variant of fishing and alludes to baits used in hopes that the potential victim will bite by clicking a malicious link or opening a malicious attachment, in which case their financial information and passwords may then be stolen. When your email account is phished, criminals are able to intercept enquiries from travellers and request reservation payments without your knowledge. Your guests can lose money and you can lose reservations.
Keeping yourself safe from phishers
- Use secure online payments through secure credit card transactions. Our own HomeAway Payments™ is secure for both travellers and owners.
- If an owner or manager accepts payment via PayPal, be sure to fund your PayPal account with a credit card so your payment is protected.
- To access your owner dashboard, only sign in to our official websites. To confirm it’s an official website, make sure the URL (or address bar) starts with https://cas.homeaway.com (for both HomeAway.com and VRBO.com and HomeAway.co.uk)
Protecting your online accounts from identity theft
- Never provide personal information (e.g., passwords, security questions etc.) to anyone through email communication. You are most secure when you start at the homepage of your service provider (e.g., mail.google.com).
- If you receive a suspicious email, do not click on any links or reply. A suspicious email would be one that doesn’t include normal brand heading, has typos and errors, or asks for personal information via email.
You can educate yourself on renting safely and phishing prevention at our Security Centre
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry.